The Public Housing Waiting List for 1 BR and 2 BR is Closed **********  HCV(Section 8) Waiting List opens 7/6/2015



Public Housing 




Housing Choice Voucher
(formerly Section 8)




  Due to budget constraints, the Administrative office has modified the office hours.

  Office Hours are Monday - Thursday 8:00 - 4:30.  The office is closed  every other Friday.

  Public Housing Applications for 1 and 2 Bedroom units at Washington Heights will not be taken until further notice.

  Public Housing is taking applications for 3 Bedrooms at Washington Heights and 1 Bedroom at Country Gardens.

  Country Gardens applicants must be 62 or older and those applications will be taken on Wednesdays.

  Walk-in days are Thursdays from 8:00am to12:00 noon for Public Housing & Housing Choice Voucher               

                              **** Landlord Access Portal ****


HCV (formerly Section 8)                                                

The Tenant, Landlord, & the Housing Authority Roles
Once the SHA approves an eligible family's housing unit, the family, and the landlord sign a lease, at the same time the landlord and the Slidell Housing Authority (SHA) signs a housing assistance payments contract that runs for the same term as the lease. This means that everyone, tenant, landlord, and the SHA has obligations and responsibilities under the voucher program.

SHA's Responsibilities
The SHA administers the voucher program. The family is provided housing assistance and the SHA enters into a contract with the landlord to provide housing assistance payments on behalf of the family. (SHA signs HAP contracts on the 1st and the 15th of the month). Contracts signed on the 15th are effective on the 1st of the following month.

If the landlord fails to meet the owner's obligations under the lease, the SHA has the right to terminate assistance payment. The SHA must re-examine the family's income and composition at least annually and must inspect each unit at last annually to ensure that it meets the minimum housing quality standards.

Landlord's Obligations
The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner received housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord must provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the SHA.

Tenant's Obligations
When a family selects a housing unit the SHA must approve the unit and the lease, the family signs a lease with the landlord for at least one year. The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit to the landlord. After the first year the landlord may initiate a new least or allow the family to remain in the unit on a month-to-month lease.

The family must comply with the lease and the program requirements, pay its share of the rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition, maintain tenant furnished utilities (utilities must be in the Head of Household's name only) and notify the SHA of any changes in the family's income or family composition.

The family must also obtain the SHA approval to add a family member by any members other than birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody. To learn more, call (985) 726-9000 ext. 221 or e-mail Lorraine Cox

Contact us today for more information about how to submit your application for housing.


The Slidell Housing Authority is committed to providing a clean and safe environment for their assisted families.